Saturday 1 May 2010

Emmelina, Emmelina, lovely little thing...

It was cold last night and when we got back from watching The Ghost, I nearly didn't bother with the trap. But I'm glad I did, because delicate, spindly - even ghostly - Emmelina came along. She (or possibly he, it has to be said) was one of only six moths among the boxes. The others were four pugs and a solitary Hebrew Character. Cold weather makes a very big difference at this time of the year.
Emmelina's full name is E.monodactyla (or one-winged) and she has the stringbag look of the sort of aircraft my Mum's father flew in the Royal Flying Corps. Unlike SE5As, however, her (or his) wings roll up when at rest, like a window blind. This must be handy in wet weather and it gives the moth its T shape. Some people call them T moths and they are also part of the family known as Plumes.
Posied on the edge of a second egg box, here is a Brindled Pug, wondering whether it's worth the effort to flutter over to the primroses. Actually, I think it's asleep. Which reminds me; time to make P's morning tea.
PS A bit of self-correction after doing Sunday's post, above. Dactyl comes from the Greek for finger, not wing. Apparently in mythology the Dactyls were small phallic-shaped beings who accompanied the Earth Mother goddess Rhea. Hmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emmelina, an interesting little moth. I love how the wings curl up like that.

MartinWainwright said...

Hi Mike!

I always like seeing them in the trap - incredibly delicate little things. I might try to use the camera's film facility and prod one into taking off, although I fear my trembling hands will make it all a nonsense. It's a bit cold for trapping up our way at the mo, but hope all is well and abundant with you.

Warm wishes

M