Saturday 15 September 2012

Morning all

How do you greet the morning, especially on Saturday which is often the modern day of rest? Bleary or perky?


My moths are usually in the first category, or an even sleepier one called 'comatose', but not all of them. Those with slenderer bodies often seem to be jittery and ready to flutter away by the time I get to inspect them, especially in the summer when the dawn comes so much earlier. Curiously, in my family, the opposite applies: I am always up early while my slender companion in life dozes on.


Here are two morning trap arrivals, ready for take-off: a plume moth, whose curious T-shape always fills me with great satisfaction; and a Mother of Pearl, another species whose praises - that wonderful iridescence! - I never tire of singing.

No comments: