Sunday 16 March 2014

Tiny caller



A diminutive visitor has paid us a lunchtime call - this Carnation Tortrix or Cacoecimorpha pronubana in posh, which was sunning itself on an inside windowpane until I opened the outside door. This let in a draught which vexed the micro-moth greatly and it buzzed off as fast as it could, which is not very fast but showed its orangey-brown hindwings to great advantage.

The Carnation Tortrix only made landfall in the UK in 1905, three years after my paternal grandparents got married in Leeds. They are wearing carnations, among other flora, in our ancient photographs of the occasion (in Spencer Place at my granny's childhood home which now houses Leeds Central Mosque).


The trap meanwhile continues to host a rather austere collection of Common and Small Quakers, Clouded Drabs and Hebrew Characters. Plus this, above, which I find slightly mysterious. Is it an unusually heavily patterned Twin-spotted Quaker like the one in the photograph below which was also in the eggboxes? Or an equally heavily-marked Common Quaker?  Or something else? I may spend the evening with my Moth Bible now that the midwives drama on BBC TV has run its course.

3 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi Martin
Nice early Caranation Tortrix!

I beeter say it, Lead-coloured Drab! well done, have you had one of these before?
Regards
Ben

Anonymous said...

If that's a Lead-coloured drab then I've got a couple in the box today too (which I was also labelling twin-spotted quaker until reading Ben's comment!) :-)

Martin Wainwright said...

Hi Ben

You are a star - and I've spread the word of your fame on the very good Upper Thames Moths blog - upperthamesmoths.blogspot.com/ - to which I send somewhat terser reports. Thanks v much. I wrongly mistake a Clouded Drab for an LCD last month so this sets things to rights.

Good news, CT. Keep them coming! I got a luscious Oak Beauty and Brindle Beauty last night

all warmest both

M