Saturday 26 July 2014

Fluttering by



I'm just diverting into butterflies this morning because there are so many about, and on a picnic yesterday I managed to get the picture above of two Common Blues doing what comes naturally. Others have been at it too, judging by the number of vivid blue fragments winging about in the fields around here. Alas, I have yet to persuade one to rest with its azure forewings open but I shall keep trying. You can at least see the fine powdering of blue on the underwing of the male above.


More ambitiously, I am battling against my wobbly camera hold and the constant watchfulness of butterflies (as opposed to sleepy moths in the trap), to try to get a picture of each of the species which visit our garden or its immediate surroundings. This is going to take me some time but the forecasters say that we have plenty more lovely, sunny weather to come. And that is what brings out the butterflies.


There were so many about on our short walk yesterday that it was like being abroad and here, in descending order after the two blues, are a Silver-spotted Skipper, a Small Copper, a Green-veined White and a Tortoiseshell. Watch this space because we also have Large, Small and Marbled Whites, Meadow and Hedge Browns, Ringlet, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Red Admiral, Brimstone and Large Skipper.



And maybe more - indeed I've just remembered one, which is why I'm ending with a picture of a Comma, rather than a full stop


No comments: