Monday 20 June 2016

Little people


The Longhorn family of micros are an odd-looking lot. I've often rhapsodised about antennae as the one adornment of moths not shared by humans (apart from wings, natch). But I don't think I'd really want to tackle the rush hour or go round the supermarket on Fridays with a pair like these.



Watching this particular Longhorn whizzing around the floor of the trap, apparently unwilling to take off, only added to my doubts. I am pretty sure that it is Nematapogon metaxella because of its markings.  

Talking of wobbly IDs, I have built up a bit of a queue of micro-moths waiting to be named and rather than keep it to myself, I'll post it now and if any expert is passing, help would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I will gradually track them down as time allows.

Phtheochroa rugosana (what a name...try saying it)

Hedya pruniana - Plum Tortrix (We have a plum tree)
And again
Agapeta hamana
Ancylis badiana
Callisto denticulella (I think)
Udea olivalis
Aphelia paleana - Timothy Tortrix (I think)
Hofmannophila pseudospretella - Brown house-moth. A bit of a baddie as its diet includes wool, fur and even books
Epiphyas postvittana - Light Brown Apple moth


Fingers crossed that they're not all wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you may have them all correct apart from the first Plum Tortrix whose wing looks to have a thinner profile than the second and may be Apotomis betuletana and the Callisto, which I think might be one of the Parornix sp. You have to gen det to be sure of which, but I think it could be either P.torquillella, P.anglicella, or P.betulae. The rugosana is a stunning little moth, which I hope to see one day.
The Longhorn I would think is correct from what you can see of it, but I seem to remember you had one last year, or the year before and I got it wrong and Trent corrected it. I would think it most likely to be the same type again, though it's no guarantee of course. Hopefully, someone else will be able to confirm, or correct my suggestions.

Martin Wainwright said...

Very many thanks for all the time and trouble you've taken with these challenging little beasts. I'll highlight your views in an update on the post. The rugosana is a regular visiotor here and as you say, a beguiling creature for all its tiny size. All warm wishes and thanks again, M